Gambling often involves repeating regular patterns of behaviour. Some feelings and situations can ‘trigger’ gambling urges. When you’re managing to stay gamble-free, or successfully limiting your gambling, you need to be aware of the things that can trigger an urge to gamble again.
Trigger and urge examples.
- Going back to places where you used to gamble
- Surfing online gambling sites or having gambling apps on your phone
- Exposure to gambling advertisements
- Talking or reading about gambling
- Having cash on hand
- Being under stress at home
- Conflict in your relationships
- Feeling angry, depressed, lonely, bored, stressed, or even over-confident or happy
- Thinking about painful memories, feelings, or emotions
- Cutting yourself off from people who support your changes
- Stopping your new behaviours
- Not planning your day
- Not taking care of your physical and mental well-being