I’m a professional and would like to refer someone.
Call 1-888-347-8888. It is free, anonymous and available 24/7.
If you know someone dealing with a mental health crisis, not just a gambling issue, they can call the Nova Scotia provincial mental health crisis line, 1-888-429-8167, to address their crisis immediately. It’s available 24/7 for anyone experiencing a mental health crisis.
The Gambling Support Network (GSN) is a province-wide, free, distance counselling service. It offers both long-term support and short-term crisis counselling. The Gambling Support Network is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The Gambling Support Network is available for referral or consultation. If you have a client that you think needs GSN support please call, 1-888-347-8888.
The GSN Clinical Therapists:
- Hold a Masters in Social Work or Psychology and is licensed by the regulatory professional body
- Provides Clinical Therapy within the standards defined by professional counselling organizations
- Uses effective application of professional counselling skills, clinical judgement, information/communications technologies, assessment tools, evidence-based clinical guidelines
- Applies clinical processes which empower clients to help them cope with their gambling-related issues by identifying needs, risks and barriers
- Builds credible and therapeutic relationships with callers by communicating effectively, articulating information clearly, clarifying the message to the callers and validating their understanding and demonstrating cultural competence
- Uses Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Motivational Interviewing and Trauma Informed Practice
- Refers clients to other appropriate services found within the resource database
- Uses assessments including, but not limited to Intake, Bio-Psychological Social, PGSI, ASARI, CBT Treatment Plan
- Provides one call intervention counselling and ongoing counselling appointments for those struggling with gambling, as well as concerned others